Thursday, November 27, 2008

Help: I am an Akwa Ibom witch.


My mother hardly reads or listens to the news. She says it is not good for her age and blood pressure. I think I may have to do the same.


For the past months, it's been one horrible news after the other. From Okere being harrassed by naval officials to Elendu's arrest to Akwa Ibom Child witches to Ribadu's victimization. I am not sure I can take it anymore.


Why have we as Nigerians chosen to create disasters for ourselves. I heard a comedian say that the natural disasters we have in Nigeria are majorly the Nigerian police and NEPA. He should have added religion or supestition to the list.


I am amazed at the level of ignorance and poverty among our people because the way I see it, these are the two most important factors that would push a mother/father/relative to label his kid a witch and agree that he/she should be killed or abandoned.


While I applaud the people who have taken this issue up(I would personally like to see the perpetrators brought to book),I know that it is not enough to try to stop the madness or to rehabilitate the children. What we need to collectively do is to enlighten the public on the stupidity of some of these allegations. I hate to ever bring in the government but in this case, the government has to help. It has to be made a punishable offence if you label someone a witch. Otherwise, we would simply be turning round in circles. The noise will fade, some of the spiritual houses may be shut down but give it some time and there will be back with more evil deeds.


The issue cannot be seen as just an Akwa Ibom problem, for it isn't. My neigbor thinks I am taking a huge risk by not first taking my domestic staff for deliverance and she isn't the only one. Several people even in supposedly civilized cities like Lagos believe in this. Get a maid from the village and you must first deliver her as she may be a witch. As long as this is the general belief or the near general belief, then the likes of Helen Ukpabio will continue to thrive and the abuse will continue.


For us to have a lasting solution, some churches will need to be shut down.The church has too much influence on its members. The case of Pastor King is still fresh in our memories. Where on earth is PFN or CAN in all of these?


16 comments:

SOLOMONSYDELLE said...

I will forever be haunted by that picture. My heart stopped.

I didn't even read your post.

God...

Buki said...

Was that child also accused of being a witch and left to starve till that point?! Something should be done! Why are people being cruel, all in the name of christanity?! What's going on?

loomnie said...

What?? Oh no.....

Writefreak said...

Jesus have mercy!

Emeka Amakeze said...

I pray that the Good Lord will give each and every one of us the grace to see the light. This is horrible!

ShonaVixen said...

I couldnt watch the whole Channel 4 programme on children being accused of witches...and what i couldnt understand was this 'man of God' saying he had killed many and will kill more!!Its heart breaking

The Activist said...

was that picture for real? The vidoe was spo touching too


I do agree about some religion houses being close. If we have a carrying govt, they shd carry out investigation by sending some SSS to be church members for a while in order to have enough evidence to close those religion houses with bad practices

And there still more issues yet to be known by some of us. It's getting crazy and scary

Ur mom is doing a good thing. my mom on the other hand, did had hpyertension for listening to a lot of bad happenings in Nigeria when she was alive

test said...

i just read through your entire blog...
you are such a talented writer.


re your post... God help us...

Afrobabe said...

was very embarrasing to be honest...haba in this day and age...and see that Helen Ukpabio chattin rubbish on top...mcheeeewwww

LovePaprika said...

Your ma, is wise mehn! i may join her soon! lol

For the love of me said...

@solomonsydelle, Yes, when I saw the pics, my heart stopped too.
@Buki, the child was accused which led to abandonement.
@loomnie,yeah, its horrible isnt it.
@writefreak, may He truly have mercy
@emeka amakeze, it is indeed horrible
@shonavixen, I'm puzzled by that as well, isn't that murder punishable by law?
@standtall, sorry about your mum, my mum's hypertensive too, our country is a tough place for the aged.
@test, Thank you for the compliment.My head dey swell.
@afrobabe, where you appear from, Judgement will come to Ukpabio and soon.
@mislove@abi o

ababoypart2 said...

I say shut down public worship for a number of years. I honestly think Nigeria as a nation will move forward if we dont have religion in our way, at least short term.

myne said...

Terrible!
I read last week that the state governor will ensure such pastors,parents are prosecuted,churches closed down.
Do these people have children?

Shishi said...

very sad...Its only God..who can save a country from such strong holds

For the love of me said...

@ababoy, I havent see you around hr in a while. At the risk of being stoned by my Christian brethren, I do agree with you. Religion seems to have done us more harm than good perhps cos we do not really understand it.
@myne, I really hope the state guv keep his word
@She, its ironic isnt it, It's only God that can save us yet they do this in the name of God

Afrobabe said...

Lol...missed u too much and had to return...