Saturday, November 08, 2008

OF SADNESS, SORROW,AND HOPE

Thoughts and voices elude me. Blank.Blank. Did this happen in this life or in another?

The media has been agog with the story of Uzoama Okere who was stripped and beaten by men of the underworld headed by Harry Arogundade earlier this week.They operated at day in full public glare, I can imagine one of them telling the other to take it easy, and the other replying that this is Nigeria and he can do as he pleases. The question that faces us now is can he? Will we let him?. Because we are the only ones who can decide what happens next. Nigerians are such a docile set of people, I, inclusive but since we have all been intoxicated by Obamaness, perhaps we will now rise and challenge this situation.

I’m starting to think that we are not really humans here, how else do you explain the way the leaders treat us and more importantly, the way we allow them to treat us? Even animals have defence and attack mechanisms, what do we have? As a blogger friend of mine, nonesuch, wrote, to make up for the lack of power supply, we bought generators in all shapes and sizes, for bad roads we bought jeeps, and for security we turned to OPC. Practically everyone I know in Lagos, has got OPC on their streets. So now, I wonder for police/ military brutality, will we wear straight jackets?

"So why am I so sad? My fear has always been that in typical fashion, we will celebrate Obama mindlessly but fail to understand and do those little things that bring about such great moments in history. I fear that in the way we admire, enthuse about and consume the world’s most luxurious and innovative products but fail to make one of our own at any level of sophistication, we will enthuse and buy into Obamamania but we will not “do” Obama. We watch the brightness from such a beautiful spectre and like a fly become transfixed and immobile in the light, at best only flapping our enfeebled wings in admiration. Forever the fan, never the player." (Funmi Iyanda)
In the above, Funmi mirrowed my sentiments. As I see the young, old, good and bad sing Obama’s praises and chant :Yes, we can, I wonder if we actually can, if we are willing to take any bold steps towards Change that we so desperately need. A newborn has been named Obama, soon there will be also Obama part 1 and 2. And that just may be the end of it.
Ebun Olatoye has called for us to gather at 14 Muri Okunola at 12.30p.m on Sunday November 9 and at 4pm- 7pm in front of Moremi Hall to protest the injustice. Will you respond, Will I?

8 comments:

Abujamaiden said...

Its unfortunate. Our textile factories died and we continued infact increase importing foreign fabricsncon, our university education declined everyone sent their child to UK, USA. South Africa and Ghana even non speaking countries like Cyprus and Ukraine?????

Its unfortunate we unconsciously allow the Govt. to keep messing up.

I'm a student in the states (guilty!) but I plan to come back home for NYSC and get a job at home.

Can't attend the event but I hope there is JUSTICE this time and such events seize to occur.

LovePaprika said...

Nice post...Hope we all smel the coffee

Buki said...

I hope the event went well and there was a great turn out. Would have attended but I am faraway for a little while...yet I feel so much shame in the way we respond to the challenges our society has brought upon us...we dig boreholes instead waterworks, contribute money to rock-fill the neighbourhood potholes, install burglary-proof irons in our homes etc.
We have docilely accepted what has been brought upon us. I FEEL SHAMED BY OUR SELF IMPOSED POWERLESSNESS!

The Activist said...

Trust me something is getting done. A lot of NGO has contacted Uzoma and asked her to let them take the case to court! Something will be done!

SOLOMONSYDELLE said...

I think that Uzoma's case is ramping up a burning desire for more activism and greater awareness of human rights in Nigeria. That is a good thing.

However, you are right, far too many of us are docile (myself included). The key is to speak up when we can. For every person who does the right thing at the right time, can you imagine how much better a nation, Nigeria would be?

We all do what we can, and I thank you for this post.

Jinta said...

the madness goes on everyday. unfortunately, we will need more 'uzoma' cases before these guys realise they are not allowed to carry whips and harass the citizens.

TheAfroBeat said...

Hiya! Any idea on how the demonstration/gathering went? Were you able to attend?

Hope you're doing well.

For the love of me said...

@ the afrobeat, I went to Moremi hall, i didnt see anyone but I may have got there too early.I'm hoping it took place later in true african time style.
i am well, and you?