Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Going all out for Nollywood

I passed by someone’s blog the other day and she had a nasty comment about Nigerian films. Something about all the films being crap. Now had the entire post been on Nigerian films, I may not have been so upset but it wasn’t, it was on a totally unrelated matter. She just felt the need to chip that in.
I write for Nollywood. I also write short stories, which have been published locally and internationally, I have even managed to win myself an award. The same brain/skill/talent I use to write these short stories is what I use to write Nollywood scripts. But because the white man has put a stamp on my stories, the Nigerians have therefore called it good. I would sooner write the screen play than the story because for the screen play I tell Nigerian stories in any way that I want to tell them. For the stories, the market is not here so when I write, because my audience is the westerner, I am continuously looking over my shoulder to be sure that he is following me therefore I am often forced to write to type.
I was privileged to meet a very well known young Nigerian author whose works I admire. In the course of our chat, I mentioned that I did not like one of her works. She did not give me a chance to complete the sentence but jumped to defend herself almost in anger. This is a lady whose works have received much acclaim, why did it matter to her that a layman like me did not like it. I expected that by now she would have been used to criticism but perhaps no one can get used to them.
My first question to self appointed critics is always, what have you done yourself? When last did our engineers build bridges , or the scientist invent a thing, or the mathematician a formula or the doctor/pharmacist a cure. It is only in the Arts and Fashion world that we are creating our own content. It is easy for the office worker to sit behind his high chair and criticize other people’s efforts because we are unable to judge him, but I bet that a large percentage of these oversabi’s are performing poorly in their own respective fields. Big brother can testify to that.
I read stories on blogs every now and then and some of them are so bad yet these same writers would say all Nigerian films are crap. The generalisation just makes me mad. Yes 80 %, maybe even more of our films are poor , but for whatever little percentage that is left, they deserve credit. Criticism is good but only when it is constructive, all I ever hear is oh, the story is unrealistic. Yes, stories should be believable but if I wanted to write reality, I would be writing nonfiction.
Nollywood has got it’s challenges, we know it more than you do, and we are doing the best we can towards overcoming them and producing better content but in the meantime, this is what we gat. If you don’t like it, don’t watch or as one of my friends would say, Abeg fly!

14 comments:

Walking said...

I feel you... I used to be one of those 'oversabi's' and I still think some storylines are crap but I have come a long way and I see the efforts...with time others will see it too.

ShonaVixen said...

hey hon, i do like some Nollywood movies and then some are bordering on the same storyline, thus repetitive...but like you said the 20% that is good deserves mentioning too!

SOLOMONSYDELLE said...

ooh wee! Well, my sista, I have always been a lover of Nollywood and have gotten my friends from Guyana, Jamaicato watch. My relatives from Dominica love it as well. Everywhere in the World that I have been to, I have met people who love the insight into Nigerian ulture they receive from Nollywood films.

Yes, the movies are dramatic, but Nigerians are dramatic, no?

Yes, the story lines might seem recycled, but in due time, with the right financing and opportunities that issue will improve.

Nollywood and Nigeria's music scene are 2 industries that are completely home grown. Nobody supported them. They created the industry by their bootsraps. the least we can do is offer constructive criticism and unwavering support. For those who disagree, that is fine. To each his own.

So, I say, "GO NOLLYWOOD!" maybe some day I'll become a huge dramatic Nollywood star!

SOLOMONSYDELLE said...

ol' girl, by the way, still hoping to see the info you gathered from you study over earlier this year....

Buki said...

I think Nollywood is evolving in stages and people (especially nigerians) need to be more supportive. Hollywood, Pinewood and Bollywood didn't get 'there' without rough stages.


....Yes! I tagged you...visit my palace for more details.

Writefreak said...

Preach sister!

Criticism should only be constructive, i don't write for Nollywood yet but i hope to do so..abeg it is our own and we will make good of it!

Go write your own story if you think it's crap! Period!

Beulah! said...

Nollywood dey try, but ee still remain small. Some movies are downright cool while some are downright terrible!, anyway, Nollywood has come a long way cos we couldnt boast of such some 10 years back!

Nice thoughts there tho!

In my head and around me said...

I will attribute the criticism to this: When people talk, they speak generally. They might have watched a few good movies but if 9.5 out of 10 are not well written, they really will not say that Nigerian movies are any good.

Having said that, I am on your side and do not believe in being unduly critical of anyone’s hard work. However, critiquing is not a different matter. The industry has a way to go and if we let people rest on their laurels, Nollywood while remaining somewhat profitable will NOT get there.

Have you never written a story that you felt was good and had to tweak it a bit to suit the Nigerian movie industry? And by tweak, I mean throw in some juju, some inane conversation and overtly dramatic and unnecessary action scenes. My friend who writes for Nollywood has had to do that several times at the end of the day, her brilliant story was unrecognizable. It sadly became one of the forgettable Nigerian movies we have.

For the love of me said...

@ walking, it is good that you are seeing the light, no?
@shonavixen, yes I agree that a lot of them border on the same things, I guess that will change with time and when some form of regulation sets and more people write/make these films. As long as its the same hands, the stories will cntinue to be the same.
@solomonsydelle, yes, the west indis and most other afican countries love Nollywod.And you couldn't be more correct, the films are dramatic because Nigerians are dramatic. will snd you the info soon.
@Buki, yes Nollywood is evolving and it is much better than it was years back.
@writefreak, one of these days, we should do something together.
@Beulah,no worry, we go soon big.
@head and around, i agree and disagree with you but I will be back with a longer reply.

FineBoy Agbero said...

just landin'. No vex jo!
Na true u talk o. A meetin with Amaka Igwe last year stopped me critizin Nollywood...

I think ppl just need to realize d amount of work dat goes into the good movies to appreciate the efforts of Nollywood. Ppl also need to travel and see d respect accorded to Naija film stars, and the way d other African countries watch our movies and learn abt Naija culture.

Last tym in Kenya, a chic forced me to pronounce "once". (They pronounce it 'wans' while we say 'wons'.) Come see laughter! At least Nollywood won me some affection with the ladies... Come hear questions about witches and "Igwe!"

In Ghana nko? There was a Ghanaian chic who could speak more Ibo than I could!

In MIA's Paperplane video, a kiosk was shown dat sold Nollywood movies. Even d titles of d movies were catchy enough for a US music producer to feature... U could see Zack Orji and Patience Ozorkwo clearly...

It's endless really... Forget those self-appointees jo. Abeg, make dem fly!

Waffarian said...

I get plenty screen plays, hook me up! heheheheheh

Anonymous said...

Lurrenzinc is the fastest growing African social network with thousands of beautiful African women, African girls, and African men.

Bola said...

Preach it Sister! Tell 'em as it is! How can you compare a 100yr old instituition (Hollywood) to a 13 yr old one? meanwhile I was opportuned to attend a film festival in Germany some time ago and discovered that the West was very out-dated in the way they view 'Africa'!(As if Africa is one big, black country and not a continent of 46 different countries) Anyway they still have the view that its one big, black, AIDS-infested,famine-stricken,war-ridden hell hole.And they have been touting that for a long time. Our Nigerian films put paid to those lies! It has shown them to be liars when they say we live on trees (believe me, some in this day and age believe we do)and walk around naked. Those hummer jeeps, massive house and handsome actors and beautiful actresses have put paid to that notion. Viva Nollywood! By the way, I like that picture with the sign'Nollywood'. It looks like the sign was set in the jungle of Akwa Ibom or something! lol!

'Yar Mama said...

Happy New Year. Your blog was one of my favourites in 2008. Thanx