It's 5am and a neighbour is screaming Igwe,Igwe. My first reaction is to lock all the doors as I think there may be thieves around, then I see red. There is fire in the building.
My neighbor went to top up his fuel and next thing, it went up in flames, we suspect he didn't put of the generator before pouring the petrol but I refuse to believe it, can anybody be that stupid? So everyone is running out of their flats, on my way down, I remember my Jimmy choo bag that cost me both arms and both legs, God forgive that it should burn, I run back and grab my bag abeg and my car keys. Please a girl is allowed her vanities.
The compound is filled with good samaritans, some with Omo, water, sand, all sorts, but the fire keeps spreading, we start to bring out fire extinguishers from our cars, there's one in the house too and that's the one that saves us. Fortunately, the neighbor who started the fire, just went through a fire drill at work so he is able to open all the extinguishers.
My generator is burnt, my net, my water pipes. Amazingly, no one else loses anything(apart from the culprit whose generator is completely burnt down), perhaps I should visit mountain of fire, only last week, my phone crashed.
Please everyone, get fire extinguishers and more importantly learn how to use them. Had we none, I wouldn't be here typing this as I would be wailing about the loss of all my books.
A few days ago, I blogged about this heat causing deaths, little did I know, that it could easily have been mine. Thank God for God.
Many are the afflictions of the righteous but the Lord deliverth him from them all.