Thursday, March 13, 2008

The old and the new.

It always puzzles me when bloggers who do not update regularly ask me to update. Headandaround, take your timeooo.Like comrade, I too do not like to do an I woke up on the wrong side of bed post.(nothing wrong with such postsooo.) Anyway I decided to cite a few differences in the past and in today's as a Nigerian. Hopefully the bad will not surpass the good.

Previously, Nigerian men were very brave. Once, when I was younger, there was loud knocking on our gate and my father went out with his matchete asking who they were.No fears. It turned out to be some long lost uncles looking for a place to sleep.
Last year, armed robbers visited our compound, one of my neighbours, the ony man actually present, offered them his laptop and the only money he had(2k) even before they asked.Inspite of his kind gesture, he still received a butt from the gun on his cheek and still shakes like a leaf if you sneak up behind him today. His wife still teases him(I know guys will attack me for this one).

Most Nigerians studying here paid their own fees themselves. Most of them I know from home-colleagues, school mates etc. We worked hard, we invested hard, and we saved hard and here we are most of us less than 30. Previously, you had to be a military personnel's kid or your parents were in oil or they used their entire or half of their gratuity to sponsor you.Rarely were young ones able to finance their own postgraduate education. There was no booming bank industry, or insurance or telecoms,or advertising, or entertainment. But today, thanks to the emerging middle class, now we can.

I vaguely remember generators growing up. From my life in Ikot Ekpene till I moved in with my sister in the 90's, it wasn't so important to have one. Either it wasn't as hot as it is now, or NEPA was much better but now it's a must have. What with the advent of I better pass my neighbor(the small ones that cost less than 10k).Where did we go wrong?

All you had to do was say you were a christian in the past, and it meant you had integrity, now the devil seems to me living in the church. To say you are a pastor arouses even more suspicion.

Women are so much bolder now. A friend of mine visited the galleria recently, left her boyfriend to use the bathroom, when she returned, a young girl was chatting him up. Shuooo. The good side is that this boldness extends beyond relationships, women are speaking up and demanding better recognitions for their roles at home, and at work.

Children are so sharp these days. Asking very intelligent questions. At a 4 year old's party, a girl asked the boy why he was dancing with another girl, and he asked why she was late for his party. Now, I don't know if that is a good thing, and that is not what I meant by intelligent question.

Thanks to the new media-blogs, saharareporters(where do those guys get their pictures from?),social networking sites etc most Nigerians now have a voice. Change is coming.

Noticed any changes? please do share.

18 comments:

Waffarian said...

For the love of me, I think our area is different. The men there are very tough. They give as good as they get. Most people have one sort of weapon or the other, cutlass being a favourite. Warri is very dangerous and the last time I was there, I went out at night with a couple of friends. I was worried about the security situation, so I voiced my fears. The reply I got, was "dem dey craise? all of us hold na!"(as in they had some sort of weapon or the other). These were all middle class working men, two bankers and a lecturer. All university graduates with young families. Not at all what you would call "a rough crowd". All soft spoken and all serious gentlemen.

Big difference when I was in Lagos, where the men scared me worse that my own fantasies. In essence, their reply was more like "you dey craise? na who suppose protect who? luckily you will be raped and we will all survive" I heard all sorts of stories about the horrible security state in Lagos, yet in all these stories, I am yet to hear of anybody defending her/himself. Makes me wonder....stories of women being raped in numbers and nobody doing anything...and the men shook like leaves everytime there was hold up.... I know nobody wants to lose their lives, but at least if it comes to that, be prepared to fight. Have something that you can use to defend yourself, even if it is just a swiss army knife. With the security problem in Lagos, I think people should start arming themselves, it is obvious that the govt is not going to solve that particular problem.

Here, there are a lot of rape cases as well, especially in the summer. Some blame it on the new immigrant community as in young arab men leaving the middle east for the first time going wild at seeing young girls in shorts and minis, as in, they think everybody is a prostitute...whatever.

Anyway, so because of this problem, most girls go about with pepper spray and some sort of weapon or the other. They are a lot of free defence classes you can attend. I have attended a few and they certainly cover what to do in case the men are armed etc.

Most women here are prepared to fight back and most do fight back. The men are also a very tough bunch, very proud...

Makes one wonder though,how many lives have been lost in that country because of cowardice. People shot in the back while lying down...maybe if they had made a run for it....stabbed a thigh....bit an ear...gone wild..maybe they would have survived.

By the way, I am fully aware of how dangerous these armed robbers are. I have been caught in cross fires a couple of times and I am still traumatized with those memories...

Waffarian said...

...traumatized by those memories...

(I meant)

For the love of me said...

@ waffarian,very well said, I agree that it depends on the area. Lagosians are really quite cowardly.we are always ready to run for cover to protect our lives that already have very little meaning. One knows sha that the waffi man does not take nonsense. We all know the joke about if a waffi person says, I go slap you, before he finishes the sentence he has landed you two slaps. Unlike the yoruba man who says I go slap you but draws back looking around for who will hold him. No offence meantoo before yoruba ppl start a war.Its a general joke our comedians tell. And by the way, my shaky shaky neighbor is Igbo.

Afrobabe said...

lmao...if u ask me, I think lagos men use too much cream to be any good to women and children...

Zayzee said...

things have really changed. today, u don't sit down and wait for ur parents to do for u. u need to hustle to survive, and this generation already have the grip on it. not bad at all. girls have learnt for the better that a man can't give everything u want. so they rise to the challenge. as for security, it seems to get worse by the day. u have to be extra smart

In my head and around me said...

Today the mothers are as "lekpacious" and curvy as 16year olds. In the old days, just one child and the women would look dramatically different. The heat is on is to stay skinny.

In fact, it appears the bellies are even getting smaller. Too many times growing up a woman's belly seemed big and long to me...these days they are more compact.

For the love...I looked for your troubel and apparently found it. If you like don't update quickly after this one.

♥♫♪nyemoni♫♪♥ said...

Yes o...the times have indeed changed....things have gone tupsy turvy...Our mothers (us) are mow really lepacious as In my head put it...(you should see me! ;-)) and our dads are all about going for pedicures and all....

Things have evolved and it certainly has affected every sect of the world...

Yepa waffarian...this na blog post wey you put up for the comments section o!

Lapa said...

vai lá, vai...

Comrade said...

Drawing up a suitable response...........

anonymous gal(retired blogger) said...

hmm.change is gud o but...

Jinta said...

nepa was much more better, for the love

guerreiranigeriana said...

interesting...i can better contribute when i have been a little longer...although, i do agree that we, in the world, are breeding a different sort of man...

ibiluv said...

i expect my man to run for cover if he see gun
which one is fight back?
in a country where if u get shot,stabbed....u will die before medical help comes

no CSI to make sure the person who harmed u doesnt go scot free
abeg let them stay cowardly

the owners of it(ur stuff)-can take it away

TheAfroBeat said...

I second ibiluv o, i'd rather live to 'run away' another day ;)

True what you said about the generator o, i definitely don't recall our noisy-as-hell generator humming in the background as a child.

I agree that things have come a long way in terms of what people can and cannot do in Nigeria. We've definitely still got a long way to go but like you're doing, we need to take stock of the past to assess the present and determine our goals for the future.

great post, definitely took me back to the good old days when i could stroll down the street and walk to the barbeach to play with my mum and sister. TOday, my 86-year old grandma is confined to our small compound day-in day-out because she can't even take walks on the road for fear of being run down by okadas. And bar beach...let's not even go there. (anyways, i meant to end my comment way back up there, with GREAT POST...thanks again!)

NigeriaPolitricks.com said...

NEPA was much better back in da days; Generators is the new Naija dept of power!

Sam Oracle said...

Your post is more of a report, like you're some kinda newscaster.

Yeah, a whole lot of things have changed for the better in Nigeria.
We can only hope it keeps getting better.

NaijaBabe said...

The generator thing is fashion o....dont even watch that! If u have one...you're way better than ur neighbour...even if it only allows u to use ur tv and one bulb

NaijaBabe said...

The generator thing is fashion o....dont even watch that! If u have one...you're way better than ur neighbour...even if it only allows u to use ur tv and one bulb