Wednesday, February 20, 2008

My Nigerian revolution meme(of some sort)

I don't know why it took me so long.

‘Until we, as Nigerians get up and say enough is enough. Until we realize that we deserve much, much, much more than we are getting, until we get to the point of no return, when we are prepared to die for what we believe in- indeed until we believe in anything other than in our personal comfort- we will continue to be led by our noses.’ Chxta

I got the above quote from chxta’s blog, I couldn’t agree more. Nigeria is in our hands. Nobody else’s. We all have to rise up and demand change. The government isn’t going to do it till we vote the right people in power or better still contest for these positions. With all the hullabaloo about the last elections, the only credible candidate in my opinion was probably Pat Utomi but he didn’t win. If the elections were not rigged, perhaps Buhari or Atiku would have been president. Would that have been better?

Now that Obama is making headway with the American presidential elections, Nigerians are starting to think perhaps Utomi may stand a chance. Before this, we said he was not experienced enough, he did not understand Nigerian politics. For all the people who understand it, pray tell, what have they done for us.

I believe in demonstrations, in strike, whatever is necessary to register a message. In the Western world, they have pressure groups, when the British government wanted to extend Heathrow, they did a march at the airport, when they wanted to shut down post offices, they also demonstrated, they do not always succeed but they have a voice, a very loud one. In Nigeria what do we have? Apart from the NLC and a few activists who else dares to speak out? Most NGO’s seem to be interested in HIV and some youth advancement programmes, while I applaud these causes, like Pink Satin noted, some things can only be done by the Nigerian government but we must impress on them to do so. We cannot build roads, we cannot conduct elections, we cannot supply ourselves power etc. As long as we have a ‘siddon’ look approach, then Nigeria will not change. I remember the last NLC strike and how traders started to complain about how much they were loosing and they wanted to go back to their markets so they could earn their daily bread. As I read the news on the fire in Tejuosho, this episode came back to mind. Had the NLC or some group, said lets march to the governor’s office everyday for one week and demand for a functional fire service, these traders would have said no, leave us to enjoy the little that we have, now its all gone, gutted away by fire. If we had a fire service that worked, perhaps some things would have been saved.

I do not like discomfort as I suppose no one else does but we must be ready to suffer a little discomfort before we can enter the land of promise.

The bill on indecent dressing has now gone for second reading; again we look on in silence. It will probably be passed and the Nigerian police will have a field day. I can just imagine them ordering me out of my car so they can inspect my clothes. Perhaps then we will start to complain in hushed voices afraid that even the complaints may land us behind cells.

Sometimes I wonder if we are not under a government that we deserve. Yesterday I had a conversation with a friend of mine who has lived in England for about seven years now, her previous years having been spent in Nigeria. She said a friend of mine was moving back to Nigeria against her will but on her husband’s insistence. I said she will adapt and added that my friend also moved to England because of her husband, she doesn’t like it here but is slowing adapting. My friend said one can adapt to England but that it would be impossible to adapt to Nigeria. This coming from someone who grew up in Nigeria.
This is perhaps where the white man differs, my history sucks but I do know that England, America, Germany etc had their own tough times, the citizens didn’t run or condemn their country as hopeless, they stayed together, worked together and today we are running to them, calling their country Heaven. While I have nothing against anyone who chooses to live abroad, I would expect that they at least contribute positively even if only in speech.

Before Nigeria can change, we must adopt an if I perish, I perish attitude and speak up for change because if we continue to lie low because we do not want to die or be discomforted in anyway, then crime will take over our beloved nation, planes will continue to crash, road accidents will continue to occur, another ‘Odi’ massacre may happen. Like Niran Okewole said in his poem about the Nigeria bomb blast ;‘to escape by fire is to die by water’. Those who thought they had escaped death from the blast died in the carnal.
There will be no simple way out. All well meaning Nigerians must come together and decide enough is enough.

17 comments:

incoherent said...

there are so many things but where to start? i'm in the US and i keep having to tell the nigerians here they need to stop being grateful to america. i honestly haven't seen anything that america offers that my country cannot given the right leadership. when r we going to stand up for ourselves?

Waffarian said...

Thats the thing, we have to be in it together. We need a voice, and now more than ever, we need to SHOUT!

Jinta said...

i agree on demonstrations,however, we have to remember that they have human rights in the west.

your friend is wrong in saying they cannot adapt to nigeria. i've spent more than double the 7 yrs she spent here, and i daresay i'm comfortable, but nigeria keeps drawing me like a magnet now, so i go 3 or 4 times a year. i adapt.

finally, it is my fervent belief that what will change it is not utomi - i can say that cos i know some of his hangers-on - but us, you and i, turning agaist those of our family members and friends who obtain unexecuted contracts and frankly, steal in other ways, the so-called 'honourables', friends of ministers and commissioners, friends of our parents. when we start questioning ppl abt the source of their money; when we start saying it is wrong for a PA to a commissioner in lagos getting the police to arrest some chap who had been stealing millions from a bedroom in his house, without anyone asking where the millions came from and what they were doing in his bedroom.

Nonesuch said...

I couldnt agree with you more. The NGOs all see the dollars sign when they talk about HIV/AIDS.

Pat Utomi I beg to differ isnt the right candidate for us. At the risk of starting a 'war' I think Chris Okotie would have done a better job. What better man to lead a group of unbelieving 2 faced hypocrite that we are than a man who has built and lead a church 'successfully' for 20 years yet remaining constant and never changing? You know church people are? In the Church you will find the good, the bad and the ugly. Okotie has successfully managed all the cold,dry and hot heads and their shenanigans for that long.
I honestly think he would make a good President one day.

Dont you find the verbose language sexy? lol.

Ms. Catwalq said...

Nigeria is like a clubbed foot. ou have it and it makes you self conscious in its deformity but you pray for the day you can afford the surgery that will fix it permanently.

Much like surgery, some things need to be severed from this country. I agree with what everyone has said except the notion of Chris Okotie because I do not think politics and faith a good mix make.

I maintain that in all that we do, we strive to do the best we can and stop giving and accepting mediocrity.

Nonesuch said...

Lest I forget I call people like your friend who after living abroad for 5 plus years forget the tyre rolling days back in the hood in Surulere or wherever they come from 'deluded hybrids'.They are not 'white' enough or livied abroad long enough to be 'white' maybe their 4th generation can say they are white. They are also so far away from the motherland in their thought and deeds to be a son of the soil. They are therefore neither here nor there. Floating and wandering. Tossed up and down with every way of Doctrines.
Sadly they will almost never go beyond the glass ceiling or come back home before they bones is too feeble to work.We see them everyday the Ainas who cant say a word in Yoruba The Ugochukwus who thinks a Red Cap Chief are mere Titles and can be bought with money.(Shame all those selling chieftancy titles)

Tell her to pack her bags and come home.

For the love of me said...

@incoherent,I have found that Nigerians in America are very passionate about America more so than their own country particularly the illegal immigrants who havent been home in several years.Maybe it is because they hardly go home, so America has become home for them.
@waffarian, all these talk is drawing us closer, thanx to solomonsydelle for initiating this.we are all getting ready to shout.
@Jinta,jinta, always the voice of wisdom, while I cannot insist that Utomi is the right leader, I still think he was the only candidate with a 'difference'. If this election is actually overturned, what options do we have?
@nonesuch, do you really mean it, you think okotie will make a good president, Im not so sure.
@catwalq, I agree, mediocrity is killing us slowly.
@nonesuch again, my friend shld come home, ha, you want her to be robbed at the airport, to die of heat since there will be no electricity or you want militants to kidnap her,abegoooo.let my friend stay in jandoooo.

guerreiranigeriana said...

i think you touched on what i think is huge...we the people ultimately recognizing and exercising our power and really bracing for the discomfort...i think the discomfort keeps even the most dedicated in check...nice post...

Jennifer A. said...

Before Nigeria can change, we must develop an If I perish, I perish attitude...

I totally support!!! I remember on youtube, a British dude actually openly accused Nigerians of not being able to speak up to our Government, also accusing Nigerians of having a lackadaisical attitude. At that point I was furious and a bit shy, but when I really sat down to think abt it...it's very true.

What I've noticed in Nigeria is that as far as the government bribes a select few people, instead of the rest of Nigerians to protest...they would rather fight each other (or compete with each other) for them to belong to part of the bribed ones...I've neva seen a people so selfish...

Jennifer A. said...

@ Jinta...I often imagine what it would be like to turn against all of our family members and so-called "honourables" in Nigeria (Commisioners, Governors, and their friends)...it's gonna be SOMETHING!!! Because I'm thinking in Nigeria right now, people are dying without connections from these people...

God, pls help us!!! We need to do more than shout. Frankly, we need to keep praying...change will come (in the slogan of Obama).

Hephzibah said...

This is a very hot and massive issue you've brought up.

There are so many sides to it. All i can say is that Nigerians need proper education, the general psyche needs to be changed, more like brainwash.

There are no limits to what the educated mind can do.

Sadly our leaders are mentally handicapped or what can you say to this: sometimes last year, there was a leaders conference at the UN in switzerland, Nigerian leaders just kept snozzing throughout the conference and drank coffe and tea like it was going out of fashion, but immediately they had a break, all they could ask for was direction to the shopping plaza to buy swiss watch and bags for their squeezes! If this is not madness, dunno what is then.

They could not hold intelligent conversation at an international forum!

Sad to realise we have countries like UAE, Malaysia. UAE got independence in '71 and see where they are today- Dubai is a testimony.

I will continue hoping for change and will do my bit.

Funny thing about your friend, I love naija to bits even though i live in the UK and have strong ties here compared to naija.

I usually flip when any of my nigerian friends (that grew up in Nigeria)refer to nigeria as Africa, like, when are you going to Africa? Its soo sad but I believe we, individually, have to do something.

Allied said...

Your friend can adapt to Nigeria if she wants too..

Home will always be home.

We all have to be ONE voice and Only GOD can help us

♥♫♪nyemoni♫♪♥ said...

I concur, but in Nigeria the govt has shown that there is no such thing as freedom of speech...We can only keep trying and believe that we can and shall overcome the odds....
About your friend, as I always say, to each his own...but I do think one can try to adapt after all Nigeria belongs to all of us and if everyone had that mindset, who will make the much desired change?

A Kel called Wonder ...... said...

I second the one voice thing. And yes even one person can make a difference.

Hows school? and hope u dont miss ur hubby too much.

In my head and around me said...

Let me say it again...If Nigerians were South africans, there would still be apartheid.

'Nuff said.

In my head and around me said...

Update!!! Yes, I said it.

ablackjamesbond said...

I couldnt agree more. Great piece.