Sunday, October 28, 2007

Just a thought

I just love the guardian's opinion page, please go to this link.
http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/editorial_opinion/article04


On a lighter note, a few days ago, my brother's colleague, a woman of nearly 70 came up to him whispered something strange and asked if she got it right. My brother looked confused so she said how do you say goodbye in your language?
"what is my language" he asked?
And with all confidence she said "Gambian"
I am Nigerian and not Gambian
Really? Doesnt that mean you speak Gambian? I thought all Africans speak the same language.

My brother has been quite upset but I thought it was quite funny. And I have been wondering why Africa has so many languages anyway? Why does Nigeria with a population of about 140 million have about 250 languages whereas USA with a population of about 301 million, there's only one language?

10 comments:

In my head and around me said...

I found the link very entertaining. I wail for our country, but unfortunately these are the leaders that we have chosen. And I mean that even if you did not physically vote for them during the last elections. We have allowed for people like this to come into office. The former president of the Phillipines was handed a life sentence for embezzling (and something else) $18million. Can you imagine how full the Nigerian Prisons would be if we decided that we would haul our erring leadership to jail?

I understand your brother being upset. It is not even amusing. We are not that ignorant about them, why should we downplay their ignorance about us? I really shouldn't fault her. After all, George Bush did call Nigeria a very important continent.

Joy Isi Bewaji said...

hi. i found ur comment on laspapi, and i laughed myself drunk! LOL!! i shall come around later to devour ur articles.
i saw where u were missing ur hubby. isn't it wonderful to have a great man in one's life?
later!

laspapi said...

had no idea you were abroad now. How've you been?

She thought he was gambian?
That was funny. At one time, people thought all black people were from the Gold Coast and knew Nkrumah

The Beads Factor said...

I totally agree with 'in my head and around me'. Your bro shouldn't feel bad, his colleague is soooo ignorant!

Jinta said...

The situation is not helped, I suppose, by Africans who say "I'm from Africa!". I never hear oyinbos say they're from Europe.

Anonymous said...

Very funny...I have people at work asking me how you say hello in Nigerian...

SOLOMONSYDELLE said...

lol @ positive girl.

Let us give the old, naive, woman a pass because she is 70. It is the younger one's who claim to be highly intelligent and yet have no idea that make me shake with anger....

For the love of me said...

in my head, did the link take you to Goodluck's wife case with EFCC cos that's what I though I put up, I just clicked on the link and it took me elsewhere

Kiibaati said...

Just happened to be passing by.I'm glad I came

A Kel called Wonder ...... said...

Lol at least they didnt ask if he lived in atree. Someone asked me before if we wear clothes in africa. Other silly questions like if we know what computer are etc. Then referred to Blood Diamond.

Thank You Media!!!!!!!!!!!!!!