Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Let's Help Save Yinka Craig

UPDATE
There seems to be a fraud issue concerning the Yinka Craig fund. The number given in the article is rumoured to be false. And it is being suggested that the writer of the article may not mean well. These are all rumours but since it is a money issue, I would suggest we suspend this.
I for one, will stick to praying for the family for now but if anyone would still like to know more, please visit their site.



First I will like to commend Nigeria village square for the good work they are doing. Not too long ago they donated NGN 720 for Baby Andrew's operation. He has since returned home, the operation having been successful. Today they are calling for donations to help Yinka, I will not repeat the entire story here, please just follow this link. Yinka Craig has been diagnosed with lymphoma. He needs 38 million for a transplant in the states. Considering what the family has been through already, they simply do not have the funds.

I have met the man before, a long time ago when my sister was new in entertainment and needed help. He offered it freely.

There is a number on the article that you can call and find out how to make the donations or we could come together and contribute a sum as Nigerian bloggers. Those in the Uk could send their donations perhaps to afrobabe or jinta. That should take afrobabe's attention off sex for a while. And the states perhaps Solomonsydelle. And Nigeria, maybe Head and around. These are just my suggestions and do not have to be agreed with.
I know times are hard now particularly in this UK where one budgets for bread money, but nothing is too small, and if done collectively, you will be surprised at what we would come up with.

As I often say, the Nigerian government has failed us, but we must not fail ourselves. All we have is one another.

Please if you believe in the cause, kindly link this on your blog.

PS
Dr Erastus Akingbola of Intercontinental bank has already donated 5million. He is always doing stuff like this. I doff my heart for him.

18 comments:

SOLOMONSYDELLE said...

I am unfamiliar with Yinka Craig or his situation. But that does not change the fact that we can all come together and help.

I see you have nominated me, lol! Well, here is a thought, let me go read up on Yinka and you or someone else can simply create a Paypal account to assist him (does Paypal operate where you are?)

That way, we can all simply drop whatever we can afford into the account. Be it $1 or $100. Or, London Buki once had a fund on her site (long time ago though). Not sure what that program was...

Let me know what you think. Ok?

BTW, I commend you for this...

For the love of me said...

Yes, paypal operates where I am but I am not sure if I can open one with my student visa.
I know for sure one cant open one from Nigeria though cos we are barred from such things cos of the 'high' level of fraud.
Let's see what other ideas people come up with. If it proofs easier, perhaps we would just call up the wife, whose number has been provided and get their account number or something.

anonymous gal(retired blogger) said...

wow his is a nice thing u doin. read bout him on laspapis blog.

Afrobabe said...

Sounds like a good idea and I am game..

It will definately take my mind of sex or the lack of...

Afrobabe said...

But ermmmm given the fact that I have blogged a couple of times about my plan/scheme to build Afro garden city (If victoria can have one why not Afro) I think it might be wise to get some transparent system...

doll (retired blogger) said...

It’s a good initiative….since am in naija…I’ll just find out where to send my donations to

Onome said...

na wa oooooo...........may God Help us!!!!(sigh)

For the love of me said...

@ all, the reason I think its better done collectively is cos it'll commit people. Remember when FIyanda featured a motherless baby home in Naija and appealed for help, there were so many promises but only about five people actually responded and not because the others didnt want to, it's just easy to forget and continue with one's everyday life.
But as a group, we can nudge each other.
On transparency, I really don't see Afrobabe and Jinta running away with anybody's money, come to think of it, you guys could use it to elope, but then there's Operation Oduma to dig you out.

Flourishing Florida said...

i met Yinka Craig once, @ abuja. but daz it. Of course, i see him on d TV all d time. It's so sad wot's happening to him

abt d fund-raising, wot would b d means of collecting d cash?

For the love of me said...

@ free flowing florida, my suggestion would be that we nominate a blogger in each of the three popular Zones, Nigeria, Uk and USA. They shld open accounts,Solomonsydelle suggested pay pal, and we would each chip in what we can depending on our location. These nominees wld then collate the money and send it off to Yinka's family. We would have to set a time limit to it or it would just drag on forever.
I am really not thinking of huge sums cos with all this my noise, all I may be able to come up with would be 20 pounds but multiplied by a few others, it cld make sense, even if its only ticket money for him that we are able to raise. I just think its easier than my calling Mrs Craig from the Uk to ask her how I can send 20 pounds. Western Union would probably take half of the money as charges.

Jinta said...

i like the idea of the paypal a/c. afrobabe has also accepted the nomination to deal with the uk end

who does us and who, naija?

In my head and around me said...

A good cause and Yinka Craig? I am down.

Let me find out what can be done at the bank this morning. Will be back to post findings.

Great job.

Writefreak said...

Wow! I have read the article and i agree we have to come together to save our own...and oh yes! please give afrobabe the job, that chic needs to get her mind off sex...lol

SOLOMONSYDELLE said...

My sista, a recent stop at NVS revealed that Yinka Craig's family wants all donations sent to their website. I guess bloggers can simply drop their money there, abi?

How are things? Have an excellent weekend.

For the love of me said...

Yes solomsydelle, I just saw that there, looks like there's a fraud issue going on on the issue.Na wa.
I am fine.

guerreiranigeriana said...

never heard of mr yinka craig...let me go and read about him...interesting though and big ups to you for trying to coordinate this effort...

Afrobabe said...

so does this mean we forget it?

aloted said...

hi i am game but i read somewhere online that we have to pay to a particular account because of fraud issues, do you know anything about this?

by d way thanks for stopping by my blog