Tuesday, January 22, 2008

FURTHER RANTING

The first part of this post was inspired by a post on in my head's blog .Other issues are just me ranting on.

I do not like Western media, so when I saw the piece on Jeremy's blog on child witches in Akwa Ibom, I thought these people have come againooo. But I did not think much of it until head and around blogged on it. I have two issues with it; one, what is the authenticity of this story? For all I know, the video was shot in Botswana. Secondly, what is the purpose of the documentary? Was it because the writer wanted someone to read it and do something about it?or was it to show the world how savage Africans are? Does it make them feel better when they continue to show only strictly terrible sides of the continent. Even on completely unrelated news pieces on BBC for instance,as a footnote, they must add some crazy records from UN or show some videos about Africa's suffering children.The idea is to represent Nigeria so why don't they ever show Abuja, Lekki, Calabar, etc?

I have lived in the village, I have had times of lack even as a child but I was NEVER unhappy. What I remember now is running through my gradfather's orchard plucking away his fruits in abandon, riding bicycles through untarred roads without any fear of being hit down, and my grandmother's unbeatable meals. I do not remember mosquito bites even as we sat under the moonlight listening to folk tales and there were no trips to the hospital. I was healthy, we all were. I spent a weekend at Ikogosi warm water springs, it was a beautiful time, even without electricity, network connection etc.

I am grateful for civilization and everyone deserves a chance at it but it does not neccessary mean happiness. Some times it can do us more harm than good as we have seen in the Niger delta, the people were probably happy that oil companies were coming to them, they had no idea that their source of livelihood would be taken from them without a replacement. I, like Paul, have learnt to be content in whatever situation I find my self.

I am very passionate about Nigeria. I have no regrets that I was brought up and educated in Nigeria.I do not say that I am Nigerian and proud because I do not see the need to. And I know that a lot of Nigerians are proud of their citizenship but lately I've been getting worried about Nigerian's comment about Nigeria. Particular over here, it's not just Western media that is giving out bad vibes, we all are. I do not apologise for being Nigerian, if some of my people have chosen to be 419 scammers, then it's a pity, the same way it's a pity that our leaders are corrupt and have sold their souls. NO one can make me feel bad about it cos it ain't my fault in anyway. The same way it's not the average Briton's fault that their teenagers are finding stabbing and teenage pregnancy a fun game. We have our issues, they have theirs.

Nigeria has issues, I would be a fool not to admit that but most of my memories are fond ones and these are the ones I share often. Twice my car overheat at Lagos Island and Ebutte metta,and it was the area boys, the same ones whom I expected to rob me who gave me water. We may not have emergency lines that we can ring in emergency situations, but there'll always be a neighbor, sometimes a total stranger to help. If there's a fire outbreak, fire service is unlikely to have water but neigbors will give up their last buckets to lend a helping hand. One day hopefully, we will have more to celebrate but for now this is what we have. This love that we all share as Nigerians living in dire conditions.

On a lighter note, the soweto choir comes to leicester next month so while you guys are stuck in Lagos traffic or standing in jampacked trains, I will be putting my feet up and enjoying pure unadulterated music.

14 comments:

webround said...

Unfortunately, bad news sells like hotcake, whether the news turns out to be true or false.

My friend has a theory that the only way we can counteract the negative portrait of Nigeria (Africa) is if we [Nigerians themselves] write more of the positive things happening or have headline news of positive things happening. He says we have to take ownership of pushing out that information to the rest of the world

TheAfroBeat said...

I agree with webround that we should take it upon ourselves to make, write and sell the news we want to see written about Africa.

In the meantime, if someone wants to do a piece on child witches in Akwa-Ibom and their intentions are to shed light on the atrocities being committed against children there (not sure if you watched the video that went along with that article, but those pp were definitely from Akwa-Ibom), then i'm all for it. After all, you don't see NTA covering that story. And even if the intentions of the writer were to protray africans as pitiful barbaric creatures (which I doubt, but what do i know), if one extra dollar is donated to the organization which is currently caring for those abandoned children, or one extra person learns about the situation and decides to go down there and help out in some way, i'd say that for that extra child who is saved from the abuse (as a result of that article), the outcome far outweighs the intentions behind the story.

Thanks for the rants though, i think our collective ranting is slowly but gradually leading to action.

SOLOMONSYDELLE said...

Yes, oh! Even we Nigerians feed into the inferiority complex and thus do not hold our heads up high when it comes to our citizenship and culture.

No one is perfect but to castigate over 100 million people simply because they're Nigerians is a failure of the media that our nation must fight and deter by all means possible. A common theme at my blog is the need for effective PR for the nation. I have even volunteered my services. I am still waiting for the call. lol!

I was just about to point you towards The Afro Beat re: witches issue because I know they focused on that issue there, but I see they have commented here already.

Anyway, could you please email me - solomonsydelle(at)gmail(dot)com?
Would like to share something with you.

Take care!

SOLOMONSYDELLE said...

@ webround: your friend is absolutely right. There are Nigerians who focus on positive issues and try to sell Nigeria as a good brand - aiq okoye (has a blogspot blog) and Ayo adene are some I can think of right now.

Unfortunately, although I care about the image Nigeria portrays to the world and its perception of her, I am more concerned about how Nigerians themselves, and particularly Nigerians in NIgerians have of their own country. If Nigerians are complaining about food to eat, lack of affordable housing, health care and security, then we all have to challenge the nation to do better. Hopefully, putting pressure on the powers that be , motivating ordinary citizens to do right and effective positive press will be a few of the means to help Nigeria and give the world a better face to see. I believe that we are slowly on our way.

For the love of me said...

@webround, yes you are right, bad news does sell like hotcake, and only us Nigerians can portray the positive happenings, but we need a medium, like perhaps Al jeezera for the Asians, Some day, we hope.
@Afro beat, if she did this with good intentions, then its all well and good, but I have a bias towards Western Media. forgive me.
@Solomonsydelle, I'll still visit the Afrobeat blog, will send you my email now.

Andrew F. Alalade said...

Your post dealt with a very controversial issue, answering it will just make me write a lenghty epistle. Hope I get to air my views some othe day?

Waffarian said...

Like you, I have had only pleasant experiences in the village. I have one great memory of sliding down on a jerry can straight into the stream! It is true that the western media often gives negative images of Africa but at the same time, as Afro beat said, they are needed for these kind of reports.

I think Nigeria should try and clean up their image themselves. For years, Croatia had a terrible image in Europe. All we saw was the images of bombed and desolate cities, bodies strewn all over the place. After the war, Croatia launched a fierce campaign in tourism. We were bombarded with images of blue skies and beautiful beaches and people laughing and happy. Today, Croatia is one of the best holiday spots in Europe.

I think Nigeria needs to launch a campaign of its own, we have so much to show the world. The western media is definitely going to show positive images of Africa, It does not sell. We need to clean up our image ourselves.

Allied said...

Bad news spread like wild fire.. When i was younger, i enjoyed the village everytime we go for new year. It was fun, they were poor but still happy. But sometimes we need that negative coverage, I for one would not know such things go on in the village if i didnt see that video.

For the love of me said...

@Yes andy, you can get your views up anytime you want, it can be as lenghty as you want.
@waffy,lol at the image of you sliding down the stream
@ allied, guess you are right, people should know these things but frankly, a lot of the stuff the west carries is highly exaggerated.I also cannot understand how a mother can give up her kid for death after 9mnths and the pain of labour.Ignorance as they say, is not an excuse.

Anu boy said...

Hey, This is the first post i am reading about Nigeria and actually happy about...

i think firstly, it wont be easy to wipe out the 419 and corrupt issues, cos its well known that normally, people remember only the bad things, you can do a million good things and then do a bad thing, and thats what people will remember...

what i think we should do is write about the good things in Nigeria... maybe people will realize the truth...

9ja 4 life ohhhh

Thank you for putting a smile on my face today...

Nonesuch said...

you know the very sad part about all the 419 stories... the fail to acknowledge it takes 2. A greesy Mr.Jack who thinks he is playing a fast one on Ade who. They are as guilty man. so very guilty.
but them what they have going for them is the fact that they always focus on the good and not the bad about themselves.All there issues they will gloss over like they dont exist but we take pride in amplifying and all. We need to learn that lesson.

In my head and around me said...

I saw the comment you left on jeremy's blog when he blogged about this story. Your displeasure was clear. I am sorry it had to be your people, but if it makes you feel better, we had something like this in Enugu. Remember Zoe ministries? They used to chain people and flog them.

I had absolutely no reason to doubt this story as soon as I saw it. This madness has been waiting to happen for a long time. Unfortunately, it is our very "Nigerianess" at the grass root level that promotes this sort of behaviour...extreme poverty with more than a dash of ignorance plus hypocrisy under the guise of religion.

You ask as to the purpose of the documentary. Unless people know that this is going on, no-one can do anything positive about it. Perhaps you would have felt better about it if it was a Nigerian Journalist that reported the story. At the end of the day, I think we should look beyond that.

Our passion for Nigeria need not waver while we sort out the problems in the motherland.

For the love of me said...

@anuboy, glad i cld make you smile, that in turn made me smile.
@nonesuch, I have always wondered if the people that fall for these scammers get the same scam mails i get, because those mails are so cheap and one would be just plain foolish to believe their lies.
@headandaround, no I do not feel beter that it happened in Enugu, have you forgotten that I am now half ibo/igbo.(i never know which one is right.)I am perhaps more passionate because they are my people but i am also upset when BBC shows clips of African or even Asian children looking like they'll be dead tomorrow. And for the enugu case, my stance is the same, did you see it happen?. I attended one of his programmes in Lag, they didnt look to me like a flogging church but who knows?Besides I am not a very sympathetic person towards religious issues. Remember Pastor King(wonder if they really did hang him)and how he was convicted for burning and raping people, my question is how do you just stand by and watch someone burn you in the name of religion, particularly if they are calling the name of Christ? Have they no Bibles of their own? IGNORANCE is not an excuse, I did not say it the law did. Of course when the underaged are concerned, it is another matter.

Like I said on Jeremy's blog,not until I visit this supposed village, will I make my conclusions.

I am off to your blog, I hope you have updated. And have you done that which you were supposed to do for me?

Anonymous said...

just passing thru..wud be back soon