Tuesday, December 05, 2006

When the security guard is the thief


I used to work at an airline some years back. Someday the guards who were keeping watch on the plane at the tarmac were caught sneaking away with aviation fuel, it was later discovered that that wasn't the first day. Several of them were involved. These people were paid to keep watch, to ensure that nothing is stolen from the plane but they became the thieves.

A couple of days ago, some policewomen stopped me and begged for money for the weekend. "Aunty please find something for us,abeg" one of them said. She didnt ask for my papers,or licence, all she wanted was money. Is this poverty or mere greed. She is paid an unsatisfactory salary I know, but so am I.

Something my pastor always says,oil flows from the head downwards. You probably won't find the people at NAFDAC stealing or begging. Dora has taught them better than that.
God forbid that I should ever have need to call the police, as it may just be the same begger on the street who would pick the call.

0 comments: