Monday, April 07, 2008

A question of leadership.



I bring you good tidings. My brother just returned from Nigeria. He visited our home state:Akwa Ibom and after being away for only two years was amazed at the changes.


The new governor who hasn't been there for up to a year is doing amazing things. Uyo, he says looks fantastic, all roads in tact. He has extended the road fixing to other smaller cities in the state. And last december, civil servants were paid the thirteenth month. His explanation: The state has money, everybody might as well enjoy it. Akwa Ibom being mostly a civil service state was overjoyed.


An airport is also being built so we can stop having to go through Calabar everytime we visit home.


The best part is Operation 'Oduma'. Oduma in Ibibio means thunder. Thieves were besieging the state ,suspected millitants who had superior weapons. So dear Godswill(governor) drafted the army, the navy, the police into a group called Operation Oduma to battle these daredevils. And guess what they succeeded. All you have to do is call and they are there as quickly as possible. Two of my cousins have used the service and in less than five minutes, the security service arrived and the thieves scrammed and in one instance were apprehended. The people walk about freely now knowing they are safe. This is how I remember my state as a little child.

May God bless the governor and keep his foot in the right place.


My brother also noted changes in Lagos. BRT surprisingly works. He says Nigerians actually queue without any struggles. There are however not enough buses as he tried to get into one but the queue was unbearably long, he had to leave. I was sceptical about the BRT buses and I still think it wasnt a carefully thought out project but the fact that it has kicked off and Lagosians have embraced it is a good sign. May God bless Fashola and give him wisdom to bring further changes.


I believe in Adams Oshimole. I trust him, and even as he has not yet resumed office, Iknow that he will bring the desired change in Edo.


Suddenly, the New Nigeria doesn't seem like such a pipe dream anymore. The federal government may have failed us, but we will not fail ourselves.


Nigeria will rise again!

26 comments:

In my head and around me said...

Akwa Ibom is changing? Oh my! That state was dead! And Operation Oduma sounds like something Lagos could use right now. I saw on TV yesterday that the governor welcomed some Israeli fishermen who want to come in and develop the fishing in the state. That will be another source of income for the indigenes. (I am still using one kin eye to look at the Isrealis sha, Zimbabwe taught me a thing or 2). Kudos to good governors!

Are you the one praying for politicians like this? That is a change too.

In my head and around me said...

For the sake of clarity, the fish farming is to occur in Akwa Ibom State.

In my head and around me said...

And oh yes!! I was first and second...and third. LOL!

For the love of me said...

@in my head and around,my state was dead? I will sue you for defamation of state character.
I didn't know about the fishing thing,I hope it works well, I am wary of all things foreign.Thanx for the info.

Waffarian said...

That is good news! Hope he keeps it up!

Nonesuch said...

You know it takes someone who has been away for awhile to apprecaite the efforts.

Nigeria will rise again.

Uzo said...

Nigeria is changing everyday

O'Dee said...

Happy belated bday deariee!

Goodwill is doing a fantastic job, God bless him.

Indeed the new Nigeria isnt far off.

Used unitel a few times, but i wasnt feeling it much cos I was already sold out 2 talkhome. lol
10ks for stopping by.

archiwiz said...

Ah, thats nice to know ohh, I remember how bad the road to the park was. I hope they'll fix the road between Eleme - Ikot Obio Itong - Uyo (via Abak road).

For the love of me said...

@waffarian, yes we hope he keeps it up.
@nonesuch, very true, while you are there, you may not notice the changes.
@uzo, yesooo, many more changes will come.
@oluwadee, thanx for the birthday wishes. since you really believe in talk home, I will try it again.
@archiwiz, I hope so too if they havent fixed it already.

Jinta said...

operation oduma is needed in lagos, or we transport our area boys to you and you udoma them. good riddance.

Jennifer A. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jennifer A. said...

Oh my goodness, those prayers by so many are finally being answered.

I've heard of Governor Goodwill so much that I'm falling in love with his character right now. He's proof that there's a light at the end of the tunnel.

The stuff u said abt Operation "Oduma" is awesome. w

Jennifer A. said...

...or we transport our area boys to you and you udoma them. good riddance Lolll @ Jinta

guerreiranigeriana said...

lol @ jinta...

...yeah, i had heard something similar in akwa ibom taking place, although i don't think it bore the same name...yes naija will rise...she is on the up and up indeed...

guerreiranigeriana said...

shei you know my mom is from akwa ibom...had we had this discourse before?...maybe when your blog looked different...forgive me...i forget things easily...

SOLOMONSYDELLE said...

Yes, we will not fail ourselfves. I just love the optimism of that statement and the resounding truth it expresses.

I just told my husband about your bro's info from Akwa Ibom and now he wants to make sure we visit the state when we take a trip to Nigeria.

Like you I am proud of Fashola. He came into power with a plan and implemented it. I cannot count on 2 hands the various projects that have been launched since he came to office. Now, if only Lagos could launch an Operation 'Thunder' campaign as well!

Thanks for sharing this piece of absolutely positive news from Nigeria. I really needed it!

God bless!

SOLOMONSYDELLE said...

lol @ Jinta!!! First you rained a curse on Ibori's head on my blog, now you are plotting the utter thunderization of Lagos' 'boma' boys/area boys. hahahaha

I don't blame you my brother. Na frustration cause am, shebi?

For the love of me said...

@jinta, you are simply the nicest person I know, you want area boys to send my aged parents to an early grave?Kai.
@Jaycee, yes, our prayers are being answered and I believe more and more leaders will rise up to their task.
@guerreira, I know a blogger told me her mum is from Akwa Ibom, Im not sure if it was you.
@Solomonsydelle, let me know when you intend to visit the state, perhaps I could give you a tour. Fashola will tackle crime I believe, he is taking his time as its a much larger and much more complicated state.
@

TheAfroBeat said...

Thanks for the breath of fresh good news. Things are on the move, and i say a resounding amen to your prayer that Nigeria will rise again. I'm about to go and do some digging on this project oduma and how it works. Does it rely on just calling these pp on their cell fones and they automatically respond? If so, what in the world are we still waiting for to expand this to other states (cough* Lagos* cough).

Hope all is well.

Unknown said...

Nigeria will rise again...?

Bubblegum Thug said...

Wow, that is all good news man. Naija is finally moving forawrd. Hopefully the quality of life will contine to get Better.

Writefreak said...

Yes i believe in the Nigerian dream and when you highlight these things, it doesn't look like a bad dream now! Things will work in Nigeria!

It would be nice to have operation oduma in Lagos!

Unknown said...

Long may the development continue o. God knows we need it! And when I hear of people in diaspora going back home, my heart leaps. 'Hope I'll be one of them, sooner rather than later.

Ms. emmotions said...

Adams oshomole, i think we have high hopes.....i just hope he dosnt mess us up !

Zayzee said...

i thank God some people are taking th initiative to make changes. We pray to spread all over the country, especially Edo state. let's keep our fingers crossed for Adams Oshiomole